Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I’ve Gone 1,200 Kms, and I haven’t even started yet.

Okay folks, here we go.  This is my big push.

If you know me, you likely know my son Brandon, who we like to call Beemer.  And, if you know Beemer, you likely know that he has Type 1 Diabetes.

image

He wants your help:  he’s looking to raise $5,000 this year to help fund a cure for juvenile diabetes.  Please donate here.

So, you may be wondering how he got diabetes. Did he eat too much sugar?  Is he a lazy kid? 

Absolutely not…but I’m going to get back to that in a second.

Type 1 Diabetes is an auto-immune disease that strikes thousands of children each year, killing part of their pancreas and leaving them dependant on insulin injections and constant blood glucose monitoring.

For life.

So is he lazy?  Nope!  Brandon has already cycled over 200kms this year training to ride from Ontario to Alberta with a national relay team.  d00ds, seriously, he’s 8 freekin’ years old and he’s going to ride with the National Relay team known as Cyclebetes.

This is one tough kid, and it shows.  He refuses – daily – to let this disease beat him.  When was the last time you cycled 20kms?  He’s done it twice.  In the last week.

It doesn’t just affect Beemer, but the whole family, too.  Here’s how his little brother Andy is dealing with it:

 

Again, if you can help out, please donate here.

Every bit helps and you can be my son’s hero (as well as the hero of over 250,000 kids worldwide).

Beemer and I leave on August 26th to join the Cyclebetes National team.  I’ve been training hard and I’m ready to take my son across a couple of great provinces and hundreds of kilometres closer to a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment